Friday, September 20, 2013

Andy Pettitte Announces Retirement

Number 46 will hang up the cleats following the end of the season. The Yankees chances of making the playoffs are now slim to none after suffering a brutal loss to the Blue Jays last night and Pettitte is choosing a perfect time to announce his decision, which was first reported by Joel Sherman. Pettitte will make one more start at Yankee Stadium on Sunday, a day in which the Yankees are also planning a ceremony to honor Mariano Rivera as he too is calling it quits after season's end.

Pettitte was very uncomfortable taking away from his longtime teammate but it couldn't have come at a different time as Pettitte was thinking about his fans who have supported him. He wanted to be able to tip his cap to them as he came off the mound one last time. On Sunday, Pettitte will start against the San Francisco Giants as the Yankees look to remain in contention by the time Pettitte starts the game. Pettitte issued a statement through the Yankees a few minutes ago:

"I'm announcing my retirement prior to the conclusion of our season because I want all of our fans to know now -- while I'm still wearing this uniform -- how grateful I am for their support throughout my career. I want to have the opportunity to tip my cap to them during these remaining days and thank them for making my time here with the Yankees so special."

"I've reached the point where I know that I've left everything I have out there on that field. The time is right. I've exhausted myself, mentally and physically, and that's exactly how I want to leave this game."

It is hard to find a player more candid than Andy Pettitte has been over the course of his career. He is a reporter's dream and that will be yet another one of the intangibles that will be leaving the Yankee clubhouse. The best way the Yankees could really honor Andy Pettitte would be to get him a win on Sunday, then again on Friday against the Houston Astros, where he will make his final regular season start.

No comments:

Post a Comment